Pilgrim’s Progress Study and Application Questions
Community Baptist Church Ladies’ Study, October 13, 2015
Chapters 5 & 6, pg. 22-31
1. After escaping the Slough of Despond, the first person that the pilgrim happens upon is Mr. Worldly-Wiseman who lived in the Town of Carnal-Policy. Describe your first impression of the man and the town based solely on the names given. What belief system might be represented?
2. What was the first piece of advice given by Mr. Worldly-Wiseman?
3. Can you relate it to specific patterns of thought expressed by some today? Explain.
4. Mr. Worldly-Wiseman speaks of the perils and sufferings on the way ahead if the pilgrim persists in following the direction of the Evangelist. You will find such a testimony given by the Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 11:23-27. Read that passage and then read 2 Corinthians 12:9, 10. How was it that he was able to glory in his infirmities?
5. What was Mr. Worldly-Wiseman’s view of the “book” and its effects? (pg. 24)
6. What was Mr. Worldly-Wiseman’s sales pitch on pg. 24? What arguments did he use to sway the pilgrim from the path?
7. To where and whom did he direct the pilgrim? What false teaching might that represent?
8. What did the ‘high hill’ represent?
9. What happened to the pilgrim as he drew close to the Hill?
10. Read Exodus 19:16-18; imagine you are gathered there with Moses and the people of Israel and record your thoughts and feelings.
11. Now read Hebrews 12:18-24. Here Mt. Sinai and Mt. Sion are compared and contrasted. Record the difference and REJOICE!
12. As a result of the pilgrim’s listening to damnable counsel, he was left afraid and confused. How did Evangelist deal with this? (bottom of pg. 27)
13. Like the pilgrim, can you think of a time in your life when you strayed from God’s path to peace and tried to ease your burden by running to Mt. Sinai? What was the result? Do you sometimes even now find yourself temporarily feeling better as a result of your “good performance”? Reflect on this and record your thoughts.
14. Why did Mr. Worldly-Wiseman love the doctrine of the Town of Morality best?
15. What were the 3 reasons given that the pilgrim should detest the counsel of Mr. Worldly-Wiseman?
16. Spend some time considering Galatians 2:16. Let it sink in. Record your thoughts in light of the pilgrim’s exchange with Mr. Worldly-Wiseman and Evangelist. Make personal application to your own life. How does this relieve your burden, the burden of guilt of sin, and the burden of avoiding the Cross by religious exercise?
17. Read Galatians 3:10, 11. What is the curse of the law? How is man justified in the sight of God?
18. What were the two evils committed by the pilgrim?
19. What is the encouragement and the warning issued by Evangelist on pg. 31 as he sends the pilgrim on his way?